Wednesday, February 24

Omens

I've never been one to put much stock in omens or other such things but the past two trips have just had enough of "something like that" to keep the idea in my head. On the drive to the Arrowhead I left Denver and merged onto I-76 in a fog. The first license plate I saw that wasn't Colorado belonged to none other than...Minnesota. I chuckled to myself and grinned as I headed east, happy to be going on an adventure and hoping to learn something new.

This morning after dropping Marni at work and going about running those million last minute errands I heard this song on the radio.



It seemed fitting for the trip and goes along with wifey's goodbye. There are things which I want to see and do and life is too short to miss out on them. It's a paradox to want to be home surrounded by those who love you and also be out there where time is so fleeting and unending all at once. I suppose my goal is to enjoy each part to it's fullest and maintain that balance which allows me freedom *and* a home to return to.

With that I'm off tomorrow morning on another adventure. This will be my first trip to Alaska and my only goals are to be safe and have a wonderful time. Keep tabs on the race and me here and leave comments here on the blog, on Marni's blog, on Facebook or at the Ultrasport message board if you like.

I've used this one before but it's particularly appropriate. From one of the race directors and participants, Bill Merchant
We go into the Alaskan backcountry to look for cracks in ourselves. We go back a year later to see if we have done anything about them.

3 comments:

Vito said...

Best wishes and have a safe journey.

phil_rad said...

Good luck Chris. Hope you have a great time.

Phil

Anonymous said...

Congratulations (again) on finishing another beast!

Marcus