Tuesday, August 24

Waiting game

The time is near. After years of trying and disappointment, followed by a wonderful pregnancy, our little boy's arrival is imminent. Marni is back at work, somehow finding energy to teach 24 little Kindergarteners at 38.5 weeks pregnant. It's difficult but every extra day she spends there before means an extra day bonding with our new little bundle of joy after. Our family and friends have been amazing. Our home is filled with everything we need and then some. JJ has a closet full of clothes, way more than his father, and the nursery turned out even better than I imagined it thanks to Marni's parents and her aunt Jackie.

Yesterday I spent the day with Marni at school to be an extra pair of hands and eyes but today she left me at home to catch up on rest of my own. It's hard not to be there today but I do need to be full on sleep myself I suppose since soon my support will be crucial and the timing of such support very much unknown. On Friday I snuck off to RMNP one last time before JJ's appearance and climbed the Diamond on Long's Peak with Aaron. It was a fantastic, hard and rewarding 19 hour day. While it was no Tour Divide type effort, it was the crowning athletic achievement of my summer because when I woke up at midnight to head out, I didn't know if I could actually do it. But we summited safely and survived the crux drive home and now I'm (happily) tethered to activities with cell phone reception.

And now the house has been cleaned again. The nursery is arranged just so. The clothes and blankets and toys are all washed and put away. Baby monitors are setup and our hospital bags have been packed. Marni's been having regular contractions since Friday but they keep stopping. While this could go on for a while longer, it doesn't seem like that's going to be the case. Hopefully the next blog post here will be the one that everyone is waiting for. Until then my son is going to teach me just a bit more patience.

No comments: