Wednesday, July 29

First first ascent

Also while at Scott and Melissa's wedding I did my first ever first ascent of a climbing route. Scott had told me there were some climbable rocks near the cabin and he was right. I only had time to put up one route but the sandstone there is solid enough for a few more in the future. My first route was one pitch with 2 roofs, the first one being the crux. It follows up from the right most tree through the roof and shadow to the second small roof in the center of the photo. Protects well with a standard rack, the key piece at the roof being a purple camalot. Other than some lichen and loose rock it was a lot of fun and would clean up nicely if it ever got traffic. Marni followed the route and we rappelled and down climbed off the back with a little bushwhacking back to the road. It reminded me a lot of a mini flatiron climb but without any crazy runouts and slightly more broken rock.
Mind over Bat Poo, 5.7

No comments: