Friday, November 13

Waking up is hard to do

Every morning is the hardest part right now and today was no exception. The ankle is super stiff when I wake up and the normal feeling while sleeping evaporates instantly as soon as I try to put my feet on the ground.

But I'm so pumped right now. Last night I walked/hobbled very slowly and with the assistance of one crutch in bare feet for the first time. I didn't hurt which is the best part. This morning I got into the shower without resorting to kneeling on the ledge of the tub. Then I walked home a mile from Starbucks with one crutch and my boot and now I'm walking around the house in the boot doing chores without the crutch for the first time pretty comfortably. They're all tiny steps but so encouraging. On my walk home I really felt for the first time like I'm going to be okay eventually.

The Fatbike Friday post will be coming this afternoon and it's more fun but I just had to get this our there since I'm super happy right now. This roller coaster ride isn't over yet but I'll ride the highs when I can.

4 comments:

Doug said...

I remember when I hit six weeks with my arm a year ago. I had kept it immobilized for the entire 6 weeks. I couldn't hardly move it without intense pain. My first PT appt was at 6 weeks and a few days. I popped a couple of pain pills right before. She worked that arm so hard. Moving it in ways it hadn't moved in a long time. It hurt so bad I had tears streaming down my face. But it was encouraging to see that the bone had healed enough that she could manipulate it as much as she did. The following week I was on the weight machines pumping iron. It was amazing to learn how much that 6 weeks of keeping it immoblized did for the healing process. I did therapy for 10 weeks. I saw improvement every single session. I never went backwards.

You'll get there Chris!! Just do what you need to do. Slow, steady progress.

Marni said...

You didn't mention the part where people offered to give you a ride to high school on your way back from starbucks :)

Todd Plesko said...

High School?

JayP said...

hey chris, i feel ya buddy. injury's suck. i hit 8 weeks last week with my clavical repair (2nd time) and my hole arm and neck were going numb but it turned out that was the crux. days later i am feeling the best ever...

ride the highs when you can, yep, just like any endurance nut...