Friday, July 25

Tagged

Apparently I have to get tagged to make a new blog post. Thanks to Fatty and then Dave for the chain letter style action. Life here is good in the land of perpetual Saturdays, I don't think either of us want it to end. Last weekend I raced some short XC stuff and had a surprisingly (honest!) solid race on the Monocog vs the squishy, gearie experts in the 25-29 age group. I stood atop the box on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday's race was difficult as I was first on the scene to a girl who knocked herself unconscious in a crash right before my start. She was okay eventually but it was too hard to focus on a good SuperD with that image in my head and Marni racing so I took it pretty easy down the hill. Nevertheless it was fun to get some good racing and technical riding in.

Last week was mostly focused on sharpening up my legs for the CTR and it has to have been one of the best weeks of that kind I've ever had. Lots of mountain bike time, good recovery. Then Marni and I headed up to Huron Peak this Wednesday for some bike and hike action above 14,000 feet. The picture above is one of my new favs!

Now all that's left to do is the final CTR prep. A few more food supplies to acquire and a little packing. We'll be hosting some other racers here at Casa Plesko starting tomorrow so it should be plenty busy around here. I'm really looking forward to the race though, can't wait in fact. Alright, enough jibber-jabber, onto those tagger questions...

If you could have any one — and only one — bike in the world, what would it be?

A custom ti disc brake 29er in the perfect geometry for me with a disc PowerTap. Then I could at least swap tires and ride anywhere. I have to admit though, Jill's answer of a Pugs is a close second to my choice since they're the most fun bikes EVER.

Do you already have that coveted dream bike? If so, is it everything you hoped it would be? If not, are you working toward getting it? If you’re not working toward getting it, why not?

No I don't and as of now I'm not really making much headway on getting one. Why? Well for one I'm currently "retired" and as such a new bike is kind of not in the budget. Plus I've got really bad luck with getting custom things. Maybe someday! Until then I'm happy on my Monocog.

If you had to choose one — and only one — bike route to do every day for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?

A mountain touring route in the high Himalayas.

What kind of sick person would force another person to ride one and only one bike ride to do for the rest of her / his life?

Fatty apparently. But it's not so bad, at least I'd get to ride somewhere beautiful everyday.

Do you ride both road and mountain bikes? If both, which do you prefer and why? If only one or the other, why are you so narrow minded?

I ride both although I prefer mountain. I have more great rides off road but in order to do some of those, road training is quite helpful. Besides when you ride a rigid singlespeed, some smooth pavement and pretty views are a nice reprieve for the wrists.

Have you ever ridden a recumbent? If so, why? If not, describe the circumstances under which you would ride a recumbent.

Yes. I've also ridden a penny farthing and a unicycle. I guess I'm just a slut for things that roll.

Have you ever raced a triathlon? If so, have you also ever tried strangling yourself with dental floss?

Yes, for a long time I was a tri-geek. Now I find it takes too much effort to go to the pool and that there is more to life than racing. See you don't just do a triathlon for the hell of it but I certainly go mountain biking just because it's fun. As far as strangling myself with dental floss? Well let's be realistic, I'd have to buy some first.

Suppose you were forced to either give up ice cream or bicycles for the rest of your life. Which would you give up, and why?

I'd give up ice cream. It's good but bikes are cooler. Besides there is still brownies, pie, cake, cookies...

What is a question you think this questionnaire should have asked, but has not? Also, answer it.

How many inappropriate gay men's magazines will you sign up the person who started this tagging thing for?

At least 10 or 15.

You’re riding your bike in the wilderness (if you’re a roadie, you’re on a road, but otherwise the surroundings are quite wilderness-like) and you see a bear. The bear sees you. What do you do?

Repeat my GDMBR phrase, "Hey bear, I already met your other bear friends in hoserland. Please let me pass safely, thank you!" Then I'd take it's picture.

Now, tag three biking bloggers. List them below.

Marni

Nicolette
Scott

3 comments:

Chad said...

I will be anxiously watching your dot again.... good luck out there.

FixieDave said...

good stuff chris!

Chris said...

That was funny but ummmmmmm....seriously...no ice cream?