Monday, April 30

TransIowa V3 Pre recap

Well I'm home. It was an experience from start to end. Meeting all those from MTBR and Bloggerland at the prerace meeting, riding with Ira and Brian off the front at the start, outsprinting dogs on a flat tire, chicken and blue gatorade at a gas station, multiple river crossings in the darkness and cleaning every hill in the race even the sickly steep ones while cracked in the final miles. To all those I rode with throughout the day, thanks a bunch. Extra special thanks to Joe and Brian for all the conversation out there about everything from serious discussion about raising children to mile after mile of dreaming about eating bacon for breakfast.

As Marni posted and is now official, I was 2nd SS and 6th overall in just over 27 hours. I'm very pleased with how the race went although there was definitely suffering in the last couple hours after I finally cracked from trying to chase down 1st SS. Great ride out there Joe K, I couldn't reel you in.

The trip home was less awesome. My flight from Rochester was late so I missed my connection to Denver. Slept (sort of) in the airport after being awake for 45 hours straight and finally made it home today. Thanks for everyone who left comments on all the blogs. I got to read them on Dave Nice's computer after the race before I drove back to the airport.

Hopefully the full report can come tomorrow.

16 comments:

Marni said...

I love that picture of you -- it seems to sum the whole race up very well. Kudos to the photographer.

Nice job on the race love. I'm so proud of you and can't (well I can, but still can't) believe how awesome you did. Congrats on riding strong through an entire night. While I was secretly hoping you'd do poorly and hate the long ride so that you wouldn't want to do bigger and longer, you did great and I couldn't be more excited for you! On to the next adventure!

FixieDave said...

Way to kill it Chris!

Dave Harris said...

Simply outstanding Chris. I knew you had the potential to uncork a great ride and you nailed it!

Jeff Kerkove said...

Told ya Iowa wasn't flat.

(wink, wink)

Ed said...

Freakin' awesome Chris, what an outstanding ride for you.

Congratulations!

Oh ummm, rest up and see you at Koko in three weeks :-)

Ed

Joe said...

Chris,

Pleasure to meet you at dinner and I am glad to know you made it home, both to Decorah and Colorado. I knew you were a strong finisher and competitor, so I was always looking over my shoulder. I caught a break hooking up with Aaron and Team Polska, probably the only time being Polish will help me in a race.

Good luck on the rest of your season and congratulations on your finish.

Doug said...

Way to go Chris!!!

Dave said...

Chris,
Huge congrats on a great result. Glad to hear you finally made it home so now you can start recovering. Can't wait to read the gory details. :)

Brian said...

Nice race. I've enjoyed reading about your progress over the last couple weeks and I look forward to hearing about more of your upcoming races. And perhaps I'll see you at Trans-Iowa IV.

Brian

Cornbread said...

Nice ridin' with ya for a bit. Congrats! My buddy Dave got some good pics of you ridin' a wheelie. Somewhere in these pics.

http://mombok.smugmug.com/gallery/2770419#148337850

Dave Roberts said...

Great job Chris. Impressive ride. It was great to hear you did so well.

gjc said...

Hey, Chris:

Way to go on the ride! And btw, it was very nice to put a face to a name.

Good luck on your other long rides. I am looking forward to reading more from you.

Taugimba said...

Nice ride Chris!

Becky said...

way to go chris, very impressive!

Grizzly Adam said...

Epic! I can't fathom that much gravel. :)

Paul said...

Chris-

It was a pleasure meeting you! Keep up the great work!

Paul